TD: WE NEED AN INQUIRY INTO FLOOD DISASTER

first_imgDONEGAL TD Padraig Mac Lochlainn has tonight called for a public inquiry into the latest flooding at Letterkenny General Hospital.Speaking at the scene of the latest catastrophe – in which flood waters once again seeped into the new €25M Medical Block – Deputy Mac Lochlainn said he was shocked to see the disaster unfold.“The A& E and new block has been flooded again,” said the TD. “I want to say thanks to the tremendous response of the staff and emergency services.“The damage is not as bad as last year’s flooding. But there are serious questions again on the design and build and a public enquiry is needed.” TD: WE NEED AN INQUIRY INTO FLOOD DISASTER was last modified: August 5th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalfloodflood watersletterkenny hospitalPadraig Mac Lochlainnlast_img read more

U.S. pork continues commitment to responsible antibiotic use

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Nine months after the full implementation of Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Guidance 209 and 213, America’s pig farmers continue to demonstrate their awareness and commitment to doing what’s right on the farm. Since the rules went into effect on Jan. 1, the National Pork Board has received only two calls into its farmer call center requesting clarification or information on the rule change.“America’s 60,000 pig farmers are keenly aware of the change occurring on farms, and they were clearly ready, willing and able to meet the requirements of these new rules,” said Terry O’Neel, board president and a pig farmer from Friend, Nebraska. “To have just two calls into our call center tells me that the requirements are being met and our two-year proactive education plan has paid off.”FDA guidance 209 and 213 ends the use of medically important antibiotics for growth promotion and increases veterinarian oversight for on-farm antibiotic use through the Veterinary Feed Directive and prescriptions. All human medically important antibiotics administered to pigs in feed and water must have direct veterinarian oversight. This strengthens an already strong veterinary-client-patient relationship between pig farmers and their veterinarians. Both also take proactive pig management and biosecurity steps to increase the health of pigs and reduce the need for antibiotics.Close to home, O’Neel recently completed the USDA National Animal Health Monitoring System (NAHMS) survey on his pig farm. The survey reviewed written antibiotic-use records from July through December 2016. During the survey with the Nebraska Department of Agriculture veterinarian, it was revealed that O’Neel had reduced his antimicrobial use.“We’ve improved our herd health practices on our farm and are already seeing a reduced need for antibiotics, all while improving our pigs’ health,” O’Neel said. “Third parties who try to evaluate antibiotic-use policies do not account for or understand the real change underway on today’s farms.“Veterinarians and farmers work every day to protect the health and welfare of their pigs, reduce antibiotic use and lower the carbon footprint of pork production to raise the safest food possible. It is truly a delicate balance for America’s pig farmers and it is perplexing when others try to set arbitrary limits on antibiotic use that are actually detrimental to animal health, the environment and food safety.”Among the highlights of the Pork Checkoff’s 2017 work includes building new collaborative relationships with third parties focused on understanding antimicrobial resistance and antibiotic stewardship initiatives. In 2017, the National Pork Board took part in workshops with other agriculture industry stakeholders and a multitude of agencies and non-governmental organizations (NGO) representing environmental, consumer, retail, foodservice and allied industries.“We are working to develop universal standards on antimicrobial stewardship,” said Heather Fowler, director of producer and public health at the National Pork Board. “It begins with succinctly defining ‘stewardship’ so all of the players can build programs that are consistent across the board and where success is measurable.”Part of the effort will also focus on antibiotic resistance — a complex issue that affects both veterinary and human medicine. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that 47 million human prescriptions are not medically necessary, at least 30% of all prescriptions written. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has warned that antibiotic resistance is a pressing health problem and is why pig farmers are committed to doing their part in defining antibiotic stewardship.The National Pork Board is also continuing its work with Peter Davies, University of Minnesota, to develop a models and metrics platform to demonstrate overall reduction in on-farm antibiotic use.“We’re in the process of finalizing the 2016 antibiotic usage benchmark data for the U.S. pork industry right now,” Davies said. “This will be an essential tool to improve understanding of antibiotic prescription practices and will better educate pig farmers on using antibiotics correctly to keep animals healthy.”Other 2017 projects include:Hosting a live webcast which brought together experts in farming, veterinarian medicine and the retail and foodservice industries. More than 60,000 viewers attended the event online and 400 pork producers were in the live studio audience. A replay of the broadcast can be viewed online at: RealChangeOnFarms.org.Participating in a panel discussion at the annual Global Ag Investing conference in New York City to address the shared responsibility of antibiotic use in both animal and human health.Hosting an Iowa farm tour with 20 journalist fellows of the National Press Foundation.“Farmers understand their commitment to antibiotic stewardship and are making changes to their practices based on sound research and a commitment to animal welfare,” O’Neel said. “Consumers can rest assured that medically important antibiotics are no longer used for growth promotion.”For more information on the National Pork Board’s efforts to assist farmers and others who want to learn more about responsible on-farm antibiotic use, visit pork.org/antibiotics.last_img read more

AnTuTu picks up fastest Android phones in June: Nubia Red Magic 3 leads again

first_imgEvery month, AnTuTu picks up the fastest performing Android phones and ranks them according to their individual scores. Nubia has been dominating the list with its Red Magic phones for a while now and for the month of June, the list doesn’t surprise as Nubia’s latest Red Magic 3 has bagged the top accolades once again. The top 10 performing smartphones list by AnTuTu crowns the Red Magic 3 victorious once again.The Red Magic 3, which was launched a few weeks ago in India, has managed to gain the top spot in AnTuTu’s top performing smartphones list. For those who don’t know, the Red Magic 3 is a purpose-built gaming smartphone with special hardware enhancements to improve gaming performance. This is the only phone in the world right now to use a fan-based cooling system along with a liquid cooling system to keep the temperatures under control. It is powered by the Snapdragon 855 chipset.Although AnTuTu scores give us a fair idea of a phone’s performance, they don’t matter much in the real world. AnTuTu scores are dependent on perfect scenarios where the hardware is only running the benchmark test and not anything else. In the real world, phones have to do the “phone stuff” as well as the computing stuff, and manage a perfect balance between them.Nonetheless, if AnTuTu scores still matter, the Red Magic 3 is the fastest. The second spot in the list is dominated by the Blackshark 2 gaming phone which was also launched in India a few months ago. Xiaomi’s Mi 9 Explorer Edition and Mi 9 take up the third and fourth sport respectively. The OnePlus 7 Pro, that’s also selling in India at a starting price of Rs 48,999, comes in at fifth position while the OnePlus 7 slots in at the seventh spot.advertisementXiaomi’s upcoming budget flagship phone the Redmi K20 Pro comes in at eighth with a score of 367003 whereas the Galaxy S10 duo rounds up the top 10 list. All the phones present in the top 10 list are powered by the same Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 chipset. The OnePlus 7 Pro has the fastest read/write speeds on its onboard storage with its UFS 3.0 storage.It is interesting to note that the top two spots are dominated by gaming smartphones but the scores aren’t that high when compared to the conventional flagship phones.ALSO READ | Nubia Red Magic 3 review: A new benchmark for gaming smartphonesALSO READ | OnePlus 7 Pro review: The OnePlus phone that is near perfectALSO READ | Samsung Galaxy S10+ review: Close to perfectionlast_img read more

Juventus seal €40m deal for Douglas Costa

first_imgTransfers Juventus seal €40m deal for Douglas Costa Goal Last updated 1 year ago 01:20 6/8/18 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(0) Douglas Costa Juventus Getty Images Transfers Juventus Serie A An impressive season on loan in Italy has convinced the Serie A winners to sign the Brazil winger on a permanent basis Juventus have confirmed the permanent signing of Douglas Costa, who will join the Turin club from Bayern Munich for a fee of €40 million (£35m/$47m). Costa, 27, moved to Juve in 2017 on loan after falling out with the Bayern board and then-coach Carlo Ancelotti over a reduction in playing time. The Brazil international racked up 47 appearances in all competitions, helping the Old Lady to a seventh consecutive Serie A title and the Coppa Italia while also playing a key role in their trip to the Champions League semi-finals.  Article continues below Editors’ Picks Goalkeeper crisis! Walker to the rescue but City sweating on Ederson injury ahead of Liverpool clash Out of his depth! Emery on borrowed time after another abysmal Arsenal display Diving, tactical fouls & the emerging war of words between Guardiola & Klopp Sorry, Cristiano! Pjanic is Juventus’ most important player right now And that impressive debut season has been rewarded as the Italian giants chose to exercise the purchase option in the initial loan deal agreed with Die Roten. “Juventus have exercised the option right for the permanent purchase of the player Douglas Costa from Bayern Munchen for a fee of €40m to be paid in two financial years,” Juventus revealed on Thursday in a statement. “The consideration may increase €1m upon the fulfilment of certain conditions over the course of the duration of his contract”.Costa is currently preparing with the Brazil national team ahead of this month’s World Cup. The Selecao finalise preparations for the finals with a friendly against Austria scheduled for June 10, before opening their campaign against Switzerland a week later in Rostov.last_img read more

Dont think Im going to wash my hand Prince Harry wows sunsoaked

first_imgTORONTO – Prime Minister Justin Trudeau met with the founder of the Invictus Games hours before the competition for wounded veterans was set to get underway.Prince Harry and the Prime Minister exchanged laughs and pleasantries at a downtown Toronto hotel shortly before both were expected to attend the opening ceremony of the Games.Harry told Trudeau that the event had created “a real buzz around Toronto,” which will play host to the Games for the next week.Trudeau, in turn, thanked Harry for founding the Games and creating opportunities for veterans.Harry will meet with Gov. Gen. David Johnston before attending the star-studded opening ceremony at the Air Canada Centre, which will feature performers such as Sarah McLachlan and Alessia Cara.A few well-wishers gathered outside the room where Harry and Trudeau were meeting, though the crowd paled in comparison to the one assembled to greet the prince earlier in the day when he touredone of Canada’s premier mental health facilities.last_img read more

Passing Out Parade Pop New Entry 52

first_img Recommended for you Related Items:Royal Bahamas Defence Force Recovery Of Stolen Vessel From Atlantis Marina Haitian Migrants Apprehended Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppCoral Harbour Base, 27 Apr 2015 – The Press is invited to cover the graduation Ceremony for 108 recruits of New Entry 52, scheduled for Friday 8th May 2015 at Coral Harbour Base at 10:00 a.m. On this occasion, the Minister of National Security, the Honourable Bernard Nottage will inspect the passing out parade and deliver the keynote address.New Entry 52, commenced their recruit training exercise on 10th January 2015, and together they have completed seventeen (17) weeks of vigorous basic military training.The programme covered a curriculum of Sixteen (16) disciplines that included professional subjects such as navigation, seamanship, small arms, first aid, fire fighting and communications, hand to hand combat and character development. The rigorous ‘Swedish’ physical fitness training programme and swimming comprised the bulk of the fitness regiment.Your continued support of the Royal Bahamas Defence Force is appreciated. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Defence Force Makes History With Public Service Awardlast_img read more