Following a four-hour deliberation, a mixed jury returned the guilty verdict against two men who were accused of murdering a security guard at a Mandir in Berbice.The duo – Shivnarine Jainarine of Train Line Dam, Port Mourant, Corentyne; and Ryan Persaud, also called “KK”, 17, of Williamsburg, murdered Jagdat Ramcharran, called “Ronald”, 61; a security guard of Bloomfield, Corentyne between January 6 and 7, 2013.A third suspect, Kerwin Hintzen, had earlier pleaded guilty to the heinous crime and given a 20-year sentence.State Prosecutor Mandel Moore during the trial stated the trio murdered the security guard during the commissioning of a robbery. The man’s body was foundShivnarine Jainarinebound and gagged at the Iskcon Hari Krishna Mandir at Block 6 Williamsburg, Corentyne, Berbice.During the trial which started on October 1, the prosecution called 12 witnesses. The lengthy trial was over shadowed by a voir dire which took weeks.It was to determine the admissibility of caution statements given by the two suspects. The trial was heard by Justice Priya Sewnarine-Beharry, while Attorney Mursalene Bacchus represented Jainarine and Attorney Arudranauth Gossai represented Persaud.Among those who were called to the witness stand were Magistrate Sherdell Isaacs who conducted the Preliminary Inquiry (PI) and committed the trio to stand trial to the High Court.In his opening address, Moore told the court that Ramcharran was a watchman at the Mandir when the two men and others broke and entered the place of worship and in the course of committing a burglary, murdered the victim.A bell, two golden murti, a pair of slippers and a tape recorder were missing and the entire building was ransacked. The bandits had reportedly cut open a grill on a window to gain entry to the building.The security guard’s body was discovered around 03:00h by a worshipper who visited the temple for his early morning worship. When he arrived, no one came to greet him and the gate was locked.After making several calls and getting no response, the worshipper scaled the fence and to his horror, found the watchman lying on the ground. Government Pathologist, Dr Vivakanand Bridgemohan gave the cause of death asRyan Persaudstrangulation. Ramcharran’s head was also bashed in.Both accused told the court that they were beaten to sign caution statements. Police witnesses during the trial said there were video and audio recordings of those caution statements. Persaud said he was beaten four times.He also told the court that after he was remanded to prison, he was taken to the Mibicuri Police Station and locked up for several days in an effort to prevent prison authorises seeing the injuries he received as a result of the beating.However, one Police witness told the court that there was no evidence available to the police to indicate that Persaud made those utterances to the Magistrate during the PI.In a mitigating plea, Attorney Bacchus asked the court to take into consideration the age of Jainarine who was 16 when the murder was committed. Attorney Gossai asked for a probation report.The trial Judge proponed sentencing until November 29 when the probation report is expected to be presented to the court.
Some 2,000 fisher folk from six parishes have benefitted from the donation of safety gear, as part of the Rural Economic Development Initiative (REDI). The beneficiaries will also receive training under the initiative which is spearheaded by the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries. An additional 400 fish vendors will receive igloos and training in food safety and sanitation, under the Jamaica Fishermen Co-operative Enhancement of Fish Cold Chain Supply and Safety Equipment Project. Speaking at the handing over ceremony held at the Old Harbour Bay fishing beach in St. Catherine on February 21, Agriculture and Fisheries Minister, Hon. Roger Clarke, said the programme will not only improve the personal safety of local fishers, but will also improve the quality of the seafood that Jamaicans consume. The project has received funding support of some $21.6 million from the Jamaica Social Investment Fund (JSIF) and the World Bank. It is geared at increasing awareness among local fishers to practise safety at sea, thereby reducing the incidences of being lost at sea or losing their lives, as well as improving the quality assurance of local seafood. Under the project, fisher folk from the fishing communities of Old Harbour Bay in St. Catherine; Savannah-La-Mar , Belmont and Whitehouse in Westmoreland; Annotto Bay and Pagee in St. Mary; Manchioneal in Portland; Discovery Bay in St. Ann; and Rocky Point in Clarendon received life jackets and marine distress flares to be used while at sea. They will also benefit from training in several areas, including safety at sea, basic seamanship and navigation skills, safe and proper use of the life jackets and other safety equipment. In the meantime, the Minister lauded the JSIF for its part in implementing the programme, which he said represents a significant contribution to the fisheries sector. “We should all be concerned that it is not only the lives of fishers at sea which is important, but also the quality of the fish we are consuming. Everything that can be done must be done to ensure that the fish we eat is wholesome, fresh and safe,” Mr. Clarke emphasised. He implored the fishers to follow the necessary safety guidelines provided by the Jamaica Defence Force Coast Guard and the Fisheries Division, to protect themselves while at sea. The Minister said each year, the Coast Guard responds to more than 30 search and rescue cases at sea, noting that fishing vessels accounted for 65 per cent of these cases. For her part, Managing Director at JSIF, Scarlette Gillings, said the project is directly connected to the Government’s aim to improve food safety and create a modern and enabling business environment as part of the Vision 2030 goals. Vision 2030 Jamaica is the country’s first long-term national development plan, which aims at enabling Jamaica to achieve developed country status by 2030. Mrs. Gillings said the programme also aims to promote sustainability of the fishing industry and will complement work being done under the Inter-American Institute for Co-operation on Agriculture (IICA) project.The IICA project will see the upgrading of the physical infrastructure at six fishing beaches islandwide.She said there will be further collaboration under the JSIF’s Basic Needs Trust Fund (BNTF) for the provision of organisational strengthening and training to the fishermen’s co-operatives.
Recommended for you Related Items:Royal Bahamas Defence Force Recovery Of Stolen Vessel From Atlantis Marina Haitian Migrants Apprehended Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppCoral Harbour Base, 27 Apr 2015 – The Press is invited to cover the graduation Ceremony for 108 recruits of New Entry 52, scheduled for Friday 8th May 2015 at Coral Harbour Base at 10:00 a.m. On this occasion, the Minister of National Security, the Honourable Bernard Nottage will inspect the passing out parade and deliver the keynote address.New Entry 52, commenced their recruit training exercise on 10th January 2015, and together they have completed seventeen (17) weeks of vigorous basic military training.The programme covered a curriculum of Sixteen (16) disciplines that included professional subjects such as navigation, seamanship, small arms, first aid, fire fighting and communications, hand to hand combat and character development. The rigorous ‘Swedish’ physical fitness training programme and swimming comprised the bulk of the fitness regiment.Your continued support of the Royal Bahamas Defence Force is appreciated. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Defence Force Makes History With Public Service Award
00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – The 11th Annual Phil’s Big BBQ at the Ballpark is a tailgate experience like no other.The event promises fun for all with mouthwatering food, craft beer, live music, a kids zone, and, of course, watching the San Diego Padres go to bat against the Atlanta Braves on Sunday, July 14, 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.Phill’s BBQ said 100 percent of the proceeds from this event go to Operation Bigs, a mentoring program for children of military families by Big Brother Big Sisters of San Diego County.For more information click here. Posted: July 12, 2019 Categories: Good Morning San Diego, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter KUSI Newsroom, 11th Annual Phil’s Big BBQ at the Ballpark July 12, 2019 KUSI Newsroom