Blogger Arash Sigarchi sent back to prison

first_imgNews January 27, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Blogger Arash Sigarchi sent back to prison After Hengameh Shahidi’s pardon, RSF asks Supreme Leader to free all imprisoned journalists to go further Call for Iranian New Year pardons for Iran’s 21 imprisoned journalists March 18, 2021 Find out more News Receive email alerts IranMiddle East – North Africa Reporters Without Borders today condemned the imprisonment of blogger Arash Sigarchi yesterday, four days after he was given a three-year sentence for “insulting the Supreme Guide” and “propaganda against the regime.” Sigarchi is the author of one of the chapters in the Handbook for Bloggers and Cyber-dissidents which Reporters Without Borders published last September.Sigarchi’s imprisonment is “arbitrary” and confirms that a new crackdown on bloggers is under way, the organisation said, calling for the young man’s immediate release and urging the Iranian supreme court to reexamine his case and quash his unjust conviction.The former editor of the daily Gylan Emroz, Sigarchi has kept a political and cultural blog (www.sigarchi.com/blog) since 2002. He was arrested and imprisoned for two months in early 2005 and was then sentenced to 14 years in prison by a revolutionary tribunal.He was released pending the outcome of his appeal. The appeal court reduced his sentence from 14 years to three years in prison on 9 June, but he was not notified of the verdict until five days ago. He decided to petition the supreme court, but when he went to the appeal court for a copy of the ruling, he was arrested and transferred to the main prison in the town of Rashat.When a score of people were arrested in the autumn of 2004 on suspicion of contributing to pro-reform news websites, Sigarchi criticised the harassment and mistreatment of his colleagues in his blog.In the chapter he wrote for the Reporters Without Borders handbook, he said Internet journalism would help to promote a diversity of views. He also maintained that, within a few years, his country’s rulers would be forced to accept the free flow of information and to respect freedom of expression.————-Create your blog with Reporters without borders: www.rsfblog.org Follow the news on Irancenter_img Help by sharing this information Iran: Press freedom violations recounted in real time January 2020 News June 9, 2021 Find out more RSF_en February 25, 2021 Find out more News Organisation IranMiddle East – North Africa last_img read more

Forster blow for Southampton

first_img Press Association England goalkeeper Fraser Forster has been ruled out for the rest of the season following surgery on a knee injury, Southampton announced on Wednesday evening. Southampton confirmed on the club’s official website: ” Forster will be ruled out for the rest of the season. A long-term prediction of when he will return will be made in due course.” Forster, who joined Southampton from Celtic for £10million last August, had been replaced in the England squad for the upcoming internationals by Robert Green of QPR. Southampton’s medical staff are confident the goalkeeper, who had been in good form, can make a full recovery in time. The club’s executive director of football Les Reed said: “Fraser is an outstanding goalkeeper and has been a huge part of our success this season. While this is a challenging situation, we look forward to him returning to action as soon as he is fully fit. “I am sure he will go on to make a significant number of appearances for Southampton and for England, and will get the best support available to help him recover to do so. “No one will be any sadder than Kelvin Davis, who did an outstanding job replacing Fraser in such circumstances. Nobody could be better to step into the fray in terms of experience and ability. “Kelvin is a big-game player, who will be ably supported by Paulo Gazzaniga and Cody Cropper. I am sure the team will now be even more motivated to ensure we stay miserly in front of our goal and ruthless at the other end.” Southampton are in sixth place and will resume their quest for European qualification after the international break at Everton on April 4. center_img The 27-year-old was taken off on a stretcher during Saturday’s Barclays Premier League game against Burnley at St Mary’s Stadium following an awkward fall after colliding with Sam Vokes. Scans showed damage to the player’s left patellar tendon, with the usual time-frame for recovery from this type of injury between nine months and a year. last_img read more

Downes, Campbell return as GLTA ‘Players of the Year’

first_imgLOCAL tennis aces Cristy Campbell and Anthony Downes were announced as the Guyana Lawn Tennis Association’s (GLTA) senior female and male player of the year, 2017, at Friday’s awards ceremony, held at the National Resource Centre in Georgetown.Joshua Kalekyezi (L) and Afruica GentleBoth players had won the prestigious awards last year, and were hands-down favourites, following their outstanding showing at several competitions in 2017.Joshua Kalekyezi was named the top junior player, while Afruica Gentle took home the award for the top junior female player.The players, with the exception of Downes who is presently in Brazil on a training stint, will all be in action in February, when the GLTA hosts the Rebel Open.last_img read more

Aussies plot to stop spin star Rashid Khan

first_img… Maxwell suggests restraint, as Australia ponder how to overcome unpickable AfghanGLENN Maxwell is one of limited-overs cricket’s best players of spin, but the all-rounder says Australia might need to take their medicine to successfully counter the threat of spin wizard Rashid Khan in their World Cup opener against Afghanistan.The Australians know Rashid perhaps better than any of Afghanistan’s opponents, yet Maxwell admits the 20-year-old remains one of the few bowlers in world cricket who can make the best look downright silly.Even gloveman Alex Carey, who kept to him for two full KFC Big Bash seasons at Adelaide Strikers and faced him countless times in the nets, struggles to pick him at night time.“At times I think I can (pick him),” Maxwell said of Rashid, who averages 16.02 in the BBL and holds the ODI record as the fastest man to 100 wickets. “He’s very difficult. He is probably one of the more difficult ones (spinners) I’ve played against.“He and (West Indies finger-spinner Sunil) Narine are probably the two you go through stages where you think you are going to hold them and then they bowl a ball that beats you.“And you sit there shaking your head.“For me, I feel like I don’t think I’m going to get out to him, but I don’t feel like I’m going to score much off him.“It’s about targeting other blokes and making sure I’m putting pressure on him to change his lengths and I felt like I did that against him during the Big Bash at different times.“I will be drawing on that experience a little bit. We’ve got a bit of footage to watch, but it’s a different kettle of fish when you’re actually facing him.”Australia’s batters will this week sit down to discuss how they intend to counter Rashid for their clash with Afghanistan in Bristol on Saturday.And should they look closely at his numbers against each of them in the BBL and the IPL (none of Australia’s batters have played against him in international 50-over cricket), they may decide Maxwell’s cautious strategy against him has merit.Data provided by Opta show Maxwell is one of only two batsmen in Australia’s World Cup squad to have faced at least five balls from Rashid and not been dismissed by him.From the 16 deliveries Rashid has bowled to Maxwell, the Victorian has scored 19 runs (a reasonably low strike-rate given he’s only played him in T20 cricket), though he played a false shot to nearly a third of those balls. Shaun Marsh is the other batter to have successfully negated Rashid, managing 17 runs off 15 balls.Rashid has had more success against Marcus Stoinis (who’s gone out to the leggie twice in just 13 balls), Aaron Finch (dismissed twice in 23 balls) and Steve Smith (once in 22 balls).Further backing up Maxwell’s point about showing restraint is the fact he and Marsh have also been the least aggressive players against Rashid among Australia’s World Cup batters. Marsh has attacked just 20 per cent of the balls Rashid has bowled to him and Maxwell 31 per cent.On the other hand, the trio of Finch (who attacked 74 per cent of balls he’s faced off Rashid), Stoinis (54 per cent) and Smith (45 per cent) have been more cavalier.Left-hander Usman Khawaja has faced only three balls off Rashid, while Carey and David Warner (his teammate at Sunrisers Hyderabad in the IPL) haven’t faced him in a match.“I think just putting pressure on them to bring back the medium pace and faster bowlers might be the way we go,” Maxwell continued.“But once we have that batting meeting during the week guys will come out with certain plans. Guys might target him, I don’t know.”Leg-spinner Adam Zampa has previously explained that Rashid’s greatest strength is his ability to hold the ball more loosely than other wrist-spinners, making it difficult for batters to decipher the difference between wrong’uns and leg-breaks.“The reason he runs in so fast is because he’s got really thick fingers and holds the ball right at the end (of his fingers),” Zampa explained.“I bowl it (with the ball) right in my palm; he bowls it right at the end. He’s so hard to pick because he just uses the end of his fingers.“I tried doing it but they were just slipping out.“I was like, ‘this bloke is unbelievable’.”last_img read more