Over a dozen persons were injured on Tuesday morning after the driver of the Route 42 minibus in which they were travelling lost control, causing the vehicle to topple several times.Public spirited persons carrying one of the injured passengers while another sat on the ground, as persons gathered at the sceneThe accident occurred sometime around 09:30h on the Sarah Johanna Public Road, East Bank Demerara (EBD). According to reports reaching Guyana Times, the minibus was heading to Georgetown at a fast rate when it reportedly suffered a blowout.This caused the bus to topple several times before finally coming to a halt on the other side of the road. While there was no fatality, this newspaper was told that the accident caused most of the passengers to sustain bruises while three persons were seriously injured.The injured passengers were rushed to the Diamond Diagnostic Centre, EBD. Several persons remained at the medical facility seeking medical attention while a few were transferred to Georgetown to be further treated.Guyana Times was told that among the passengers in the bus at the time of the accident were six students of Friendship Secondary School. A staff member from the school related that the students went to school after the incident; some limping and others in pain and informed the administration about the accident.“The Police then came to the school and advice us to bring the students here at Diamond to get checked out,” the official said.At the Diamond Diagnostic Centre, this publication spoke with a few of the students who were in the minibus at the time of the accident. One student, Jennifer Lilly, recounted that as the bus was proceeding in the northern direction along the East Bank Road, it began to pick up speed. She noted that upon reaching a turn in proximity to Sarah Johanna, the bus went over a “bump”.
Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Both senior teams travelled to Dooey on Saturday evening last and came away with two defeats. With holidays a factor it is hoped that performances will be much improved this weekend as both teams are competing in the 1st round of their respective championships. We wish a speedy recovery to the Na Rossa player who picked up what seemed a nasty injury during the senior match. The seniors play Downings away in the Junior championship and the Junior B team play Malin. Details of times will be available at training.The U14s are scheduled to play Moville in the championship on Wednesday the 10th at Páirc na nGael. Throw Inn at 7pm.The minors are due to play Carndonagh in the 1st Round of the championship on Friday the 19th August Gaels U12 hurlers won their mini league match away to Setanta last Thursday. On a wet night, the boys and girls all played well and showed competitive spirit and great skills. Next match is away to McCumhaills on Thurs 11th, bus details at training Tues, 6.30pm, followed by a home match vs Aodh Rua, Thurs 18th August. Congratulations to Ciaran Kelly and Cormac Cannon who played in the Donegal U14 hurling squad who took part in an Ulster Feile blitz, Division 1, in Monaghan last Saturday. Donegal defeated Down and Armagh on the day. Gaels held a mini Gaelic academy for girls last week. Great fun was had by all who took part, thanks to coaches and parents who helped. Camogie training continues Tuesday 6.30pm, new players welcome. Check our website letterkennygaels.donegal.gaa.ie for all details on training times for all ages and all the latest news. Lotto results for week-ending 7th August. No’s drawn were 1,5,19 & 24 Match 3 winner was Stephen Elliott C/o McGinleys Next weekends Jackpot will be 6,250 EuroGAA: LETTERKENNY GAELS GAA NOTES was last modified: August 9th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:GAA: LETTERKENNY GAELS GAA NOTES
Gabriel Jesus has signed a two-year contract extension which will keep him at the club until 2023.The 21-year-old Brazil international joined City from Palmeiras in January 2017 and has scored 24 goals in 53 matches.“I would like to thank the fans for the welcome and for how well they have treated me. I can say that it was the best decision I’ve made in my life to come to Manchester City because whilst I’m here I’m improving as a professional and as a person,” he told mancity.com.“Also thanks to the Club for being so organised and focused since I arrived. Pep had an important role in my signing, but also the Club. City is a huge Club and it is getting bigger and bigger so I just want to say thanks for everything. I hope that I can keep making the fans happy.” Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January REVEALED “This season is going to be amazing because you are the man!” @gabrieljesus33’s mum knows! 🤩 #alomae #mancity pic.twitter.com/hnzrCzBg0t— Manchester City (@ManCity) August 3, 2018 targets How the Premier League table could change after the Boxing Day fixtures possible standings Pep Guardiola gives Man City injury update and talks Christmas schedule What every Premier League club’s fans dream of this Christmas BIG PRESENTS UP TOP Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? REVEALED smart causal Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won Premier League Team of the Season so far, including Liverpool and Leicester stars shining Man City news Every current Premier League club’s best kit from the past decade Did Mahrez just accidentally reveal Fernandinho is leaving Man City this summer? PEP TALK England’s most successful clubs of the past decade, according to trophies won whoops silverware
NAPA — Antonio Brown’s representatives wanted everyone to know that their client, amid not one, but two bizarre sagas that are keeping him off the field, would be back at Raiders training camp Tuesday.And sure enough, as practice wound down Brown walked out onto the sidelines of the practice field.Flanked by cameras, of course.The wide receiver also had his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, in tow, because he too has never seen a camera he doesn’t like. And while Brown didn’t seem all that chatty …
23 October 2009South Africa is to extend its child support grants to children up to the age of 15 from January 2010. The grants only apply to children from poor households, and their caregivers have to ensure that they remain in school in order to qualify for the grants.The grants will be further extended to 16-year-olds from January 2011 and 17-year-olds from January 2012, at a total cost of R1.3-billion, R2.6-billion and R3.5-billion over the next three years respectively.Currently, only children up to the age of 14 years are eligible for child support grants.Speaking in Pretoria this week following a meeting of the Cabinet, government spokesperson Themba Maseko said the three grant extensions would benefit approximately two-million children from poor households.Maseko said the government recognised that social grants were still the most effective form of poverty alleviation, especially during the current financial downturn.Over 13-million South Africans, nine-million of whom are children, currently receive social assistance benefits from the state.In April 2009, the government increased its monthly old age and disability grants from R960 to R1 010, the child support grant from R230 to R240, the foster care grant from R650 to R680, and the care dependency grant from R960 to R1 010 a month.Source: BuaNews
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest By Harold Watters, Ohio State University Extension agronomistLake Erie wasn’t as bad as expected. What? We missed 1.5 million acres of crops, and from my eye mostly in northwest Ohio. But here is the deal: you did apply fertilizer last year, and probably the year before. We farm in a leaky system and I learned this week that entropy is working against us — meaning it will get more random. So, yes it’s leaky and will perhaps get a little more leaky. We did not plant as many crops and yes we applied less fertilizer in the Lake Erie basin, but the leaks still happen even without the crop because we still have rain, and rain moves that little tiny bit of phosphorus off your farm and downstream.This from NOAA about the Harmful Algal Bloom on Lake Erie, on Oct. 31, (http://coastalscience.noaa.gov/research/habs/forecasting):The Microcystis cyanobacteria bloom in 2019 had a severity index (SI) of 7.3, indicating a relatively severe bloom.This was more severe than 2018 (3.6) and somewhat less than 2017 (8.0). The severity index captures the amount of bloom biomass over the peak 30 days of the bloom.The measured bloom severity of 7.3 matched the forecast severity of 7.5 (with likely range of 7 to 8). This bloom severity was consistent with the total bioavailable phosphorus (TBP) load into western Lake Erie from the Maumee River.While the discharge volume and total phosphorus loads approached those in 2011, a lower concentration of TBP compared to recent years led to lower TBP loads and allowed us to avoid a 2011-sized bloom.Meaning, while it could have been worse, the cropping situation likely reduced the amount of P loss. And what about the Ohio River HAB? Did what we do in northwest Ohio cause that? I don’t think so, but again we farm in a leaky system across all of Ohio so I am not surprised we had problems in the southern part of the state too. Because you know what, it rained down there as well.This was in the USEPA October 2019 Freshwater HABs Newsletter: “A harmful algae bloom (HAB) occurred on the Ohio River in the Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky area during September and October of 2019. During this time, ORSANCO (the Ohio River Valley Water Sanitation Commission) worked with Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky to monitor an algae bloom in the Ohio River. ORSANCO coordinated sample collection and lab analysis with member states. The data from these samples are available: http://www.orsanco.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Toxin-results_updated11.5.19.pdf.What do we do about this? First, understand we operate in an environment where we grow crops that are rain fed. We actually get more rain than we need to grow a crop. And second, we need about 20 to 22 inches of rain to grow a great crop and we got quite a bit more than that this year. At my location we were seven inches above average on precipitation for the past year and I had no rain after July 1. Others in southern Ohio were as much as 10 to 16 inches above normal.For that water that goes south, the area of concern is the dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico.“The measured size of the dead zone, also called the hypoxic zone, is the 8th largest in the 33-year record and exceeds the 5,770-square-mile average from the past five years. The annual survey was led by scientists at Louisiana State University and the Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium (LUMCON) during a research cruise from July 23 to 29 aboard LUMCON’s R/V Pelican.” See the reference at: https://www.noaa.gov/media-release/large-dead-zone-measured-in-gulf-of-mexico.We at OSU continue our efforts to share with producers and consulting agronomists ways to reduce the water quality concerns for both northern and southern Ohio. We will continue to talk about some new tools that you can put in place to slow movement of nutrients to our waters. They are:The updated Tri-State Fertilizer recommendations, data is being shared now for the Ohio portion and it is hoped to be published as the “Tri-State” this winter: https://soilfertility.osu.edu.We have completed work on the new P-risk index and hope that will be rolled out soon.Application risk management tools? There are a couple of these to help you plan when a fertilizer or manure application is suggested or not: Ohio Applicator Forecast (from ODA) https://www.agri.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/oda/divisions/plant-health/resources/ohio-applicator-forecast and the OSU Field Application Resource Monitor (F.A.R.M.) can give present (and past) forecasts https://farm.bpcrc.osu.edu.
The Army on Saturday renamed the Army Goodwill School, Behibagh, as ‘Shaheed Lt. Ummer Fayaz Goodwill School’ as a mark of tribute to the deceased soldier abducted and killed by militants on May 10.An Army spokesman said Major General B.S. Raju, the General Officer Commanding of the Victor Force along with the deputy commissioner and Superintendent of Police, Kulgam, visited the house of Fayaz to attend the ‘Chahrrum’.Grants solatiumMaj. Gen. Raju met the family and presented a cheque of ₹75 lakh on behalf of the Army.“To honour the martyr, it has been decided to rename the Army Goodwill School Behibagh as ‘Shaheed Lt. Ummer Fayaz Goodwill School’,” said the spokesman.The deputy commissioner also presented a cheque of ex-gratia and announced a government job to the family members.Condemning this dastardly act, Maj. Gen. Raju called upon all sections of the society “to join hands in putting an end to the bloodshed in Kashmir”. He also urged the elders to sensitise the “misguided youth” to shun the path of violence and join the mainstream and contribute towards the nation building.Fayaz, 22, who belonged to 2 Rajput Rifles, was killed as he had come on a vacation to native district of Kulgam. He was picked up by gunmen from a wedding function in nearby Shopian district on Tuesday. His bullet-ridden body was found from a road on Wednesday.He was a brilliant young man who performed in a spectacular manner in the Indian Army, the GOC said after meeting his family here.“His death will not go in vain. Strict actions will be taken over this militant attack. We want to ensure that our operation will not affect the civil population,” he asserted.Family inconsolableMeanwhile, Fayaz’s family remains inconsolable as they continue to mourn the loss of their son. “We have lost everything. He was a good human being,” Fayaz’s father Faiz Ahmed said.(With ANI inputs)