Jhansi youth death: Conflicting accounts on encounter add doubt to police version

first_imgWhile the family of Jhansi resident Pushpendra Yadav have alleged that he was killed in a staged encounter, the police version has come under further scrutiny after conflicting statements issued by two district police officers.According to the statement by Jhansi SSP Om Prakash Singh on the night of the incident, the Station House Officer of Moth, Dharmendra Singh Chauhan, was returning to Jhansi from Kanpur in his private car on October 5 after a two-day leave, when he received a call from a local resident, purportedly Pushpendra Yadav. The person on the other end of the phone asked Mr. Chauhan to meet him at an intersection, the SSP said. Mr. Chauhan was “alone” and in plainclothes, the SSP said, adding that as soon as the SHO stopped his car and rolled down the window to look around, the accused fired at him.The SHO’s description of the incident, however, does not tally with the SSP’s statement. Talking to the media from his hospital bed, where he is recovering from injuries allegedly suffered during the encounter, Mr. Chauhan said he had gone out from his police station to patrol and check duty on the night of the incident. He said he was accompanied by a constable, Saurabh, and both of them were in a private car. “At the Bamrauli intersection around 9 p.m., a person waved (at us) and I stopped the car. He came close and pulled out his country pistol and fired,” said Mr. Chauhan, not mentioning any phone call.When asked whether he was returning from his leave, as stated by the SSP, the SHO said he had returned from leave the same day and gone out for patrol. The SHO claimed the accused shot and fled with his mobile phone and vehicle.Meanwhile, amid questions over the authenticity of the encounter, the police released a list of crimes attributed to Pushpendra Yadav to establish his criminal record as an alleged mining mafia member. However, all the five cases listed by the police related to inter-personal disputes, village-level offences or prohibitory action to prevent law and order disturbances. All cases pertain to 2014 and 2015.The charges against Pushpendra Yadav included enticing or taking away or detaining with criminal intent a married woman, criminal intimidation, voluntarily causing hurt and verbal threats. The police also claimed that Pushpendra Yadav’s truck was fined twice in 2018 for illegal mining. It was served a fresh challan on September 29 and seized.Pushpendra Yadav’s body was cremated by police on October 7 night after his family refused to take his body till a murder case is lodged against the police officer who shot him. The family accused the police of cold-blooded murder. His brother, Rabindra Yadav, a CISF jawan, claimed Pushpendra Yadav did not have any criminal record and never owned any weapon.Pushpendra Yadav’s wife Shivangi on October 9 alleged that her husband was killed because he had threatened to expose the local SHO for demanding bribe from him in return for promising to free his seized truck. She said her husband had already paid the police ₹1.5 lakh but they were harassing him for more. Pushpendra Yadav had threatened to make the recordingss of their bribe dealing to go “viral”, she said. “If he was at fault, you could have summoned him or taken him to jail. The police had his phone number,” she said.Ms. Shivangi Yadav further said that if her husband had shot the SHO and escaped with his car, as claimed by police, he would have been shot in the back and not in the head. “They caught hold of him and killed him,” she alleged.Akhilesh demands high-level probeSamajwadi Party president Akhilesh Yadav, after meeting the family of the deceased, said a probe monitored by a sitting High Court judge would bring out the facts, as he questioned the police version. “This is not an encounter. The police committed a murder,” Mr. Akhilesh Yadav said.“No one believes the police story. Nobody is satisfied with the story and sequence of events narrated by the Jhansi Police administration,” he said.The SP chief also demanded that a murder case be lodged against the SHO, as demanded by the family. “You can estimate how big the conspiracy is when all officials and the government come together to save the station officer,” Mr. Akhilesh told reporters in Jhansi.last_img read more

Stuart Broad is David Warner’s nemesis yet again in Ashes duel

first_imgCricket Steve Smith and the rain frustrate England on first day at Old Trafford Sportblog Some Test series are defined by a single match-up. With the 2005 Ashes being used to fill every gap in the broadcast schedule during this year’s edition, there have been plenty of chances to see the full suite of performances but the duel that decided the result surely has to be Andrew Flintoff taking down Adam Gilchrist.However powerful Australia’s batting from the late 1990s through the first decade of the 2000s, there were plenty of times when the team was saved by Gilchrist. Until his arrival Australian wicketkeepers had averages in the 20s and chipped in with a few runs. A No 7 who averaged over 50 for most of his career and finished with 17 centuries completely changed the game. That is what England had to neutralise and Flintoff was able to do it. Skip forward to 2019 and there are some parallels to be drawn: another Australian batsman with the proven ability to devastate bowlers; a right-arm English seamer coming round the wicket to the left-hander, using that angle to move the ball and create discomfort; and a growing sequence of dismissals, during which the batsman begins to look unsettled and tentative, the pattern feeding itself.In other ways Stuart Broad’s working over of David Warner has been entirely unlike its antecedent: Flintoff operated at much higher pace and often used reverse swing to target a No 7 by hooping the ball into his stumps while Broad is bowling to an opener with the new ball and using seam away to take his edge, with the odd in-ducker to find pads or timber.The duel may not prove decisive either, if Warner’s teammate and suspension partner Steve Smith keeps churning out runs the way he has every time he’s been allowed to bat since their joint return to the side. But if Smith had even half of Warner’s usual output backing him up, Australia’s position in the series would not be in any question.Instead Broad has been able almost to neutralise Warner’s influence entirely. So far he has knocked the Australian over for 2, 8, 3, 0 and added another 0 on Wednesday in Manchester.Warner’s other two dismissals have been to Jofra Archer for five and 61. That lone score in double figures came in the first innings at Leeds, surviving a fearsome working over from both bowlers with the ball at times hooping and jagging too much to take a wicket. Warner battled through for a score that should have been match-winning, only for a miracle finish to take that away. But it did show the influence he could have even while struggling. Stuart Broad rejoices after striking in the first over of the match to remove David Warner. Photograph: Jon Super/Shutterstock David Warner Facebook It was Broad who snuffed out any optimism from that innings, getting his man with a second-ball duck in the second innings at Headingley, and another second-baller here. Before the match Australia’s coach, Justin Langer, said that one could respond to senior players being short of runs with “a smile on your face, because you know they’re not far off”. But a sequence extending into its fourth Test may be outpacing his capacity to stay sanguine.Warner’s long-term quality is not in question. Players with 21 Test hundreds are not found in every dressing room. But on his third tour of England the attacking opener has never yet been influential in winning a match, let alone a series, and at 32 years of age he is unlikely to be back for another shot. He has come back into the side after the ball-tampering scandal because of how good he is but he would not want to give administrators too much opportunity to start thinking about moving him on. Ashes: Overton says wind hit run-up rhythm and helped Smith weather storm The slump has been a surprise. Warner was one run away from topping the World Cup list in England only a few weeks ago, racking up 647 with three centuries. He even played his one-day cricket in what felt closer to his Test match mode, taking his time to build big innings. He seemed set for a substantial Ashes. There is no way to quantify whether the difference has been in fields or in bowlers or in facing the red Dukes ball versus the white Kookaburra; or whether it is something less technical, less tangible, like the lasting scrutiny of an Ashes series settling in the way that a manic global tournament might not.Perhaps it is the cumulative effect of “getting a couple of good balls”, as he brushed off the issue earlier in the series, but then growing in concern as a couple becomes a bushel.All one can see is that Test-match Warner right now is not himself, caught in two minds and then caught in the cordon. For his duck on Wednesday he left his bat out like shopping that he had forgotten on the front step, scolding himself for absent-mindedness when the consequences became known. He has done similar things a couple of times, as well as being jagged on the pads and also losing his leg stump. The ways to get out are multiplying, the ways off strike are not. With every innings that Broad holds Warner, England’s chance to hold Australia grows. Since you’re here… England cricket team Share on Pinterest Share on Twitter Topics Share on WhatsApp Share on LinkedIn features Read more Reuse this content Share on Facebook Share via Email Pinterest Read more Twitter The Ashes Share on Messenger Stuart Broad Ashes 2019 Australia cricket team Support The Guardian … we have a small favour to ask. More people are reading and supporting The Guardian’s independent, investigative journalism than ever before. And unlike many new organisations, we have chosen an approach that allows us to keep our journalism accessible to all, regardless of where they live or what they can afford. But we need your ongoing support to keep working as we do.The Guardian will engage with the most critical issues of our time – from the escalating climate catastrophe to widespread inequality to the influence of big tech on our lives. At a time when factual information is a necessity, we believe that each of us, around the world, deserves access to accurate reporting with integrity at its heart.Our editorial independence means we set our own agenda and voice our own opinions. Guardian journalism is free from commercial and political bias and not influenced by billionaire owners or shareholders. This means we can give a voice to those less heard, explore where others turn away, and rigorously challenge those in power.We need your support to keep delivering quality journalism, to maintain our openness and to protect our precious independence. Every reader contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support The Guardian from as little as $1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.last_img read more

Review of Drain and Gully Systems

first_img The United States-based National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is predicting five to nine hurricanes, with two to four of them Category 3, or stronger. The forecast calls for 11 to 17 tropical systems. A review of the country’s drain and gully systems is being undertaken by the technical staff at the Ministry of Local Government and Community Development, in collaboration with the National Works Agency (NWA).“We are serious about ensuring that flooding does not remain a part of our normal life experience,” Portfolio Minister, Hon. Desmond McKenzie, said, while addressing the launch of Disaster Preparedness Month and to observe the start of  the Atlantic Hurricane season on June 1, at Jamaica House.Minister McKenzie had indicated to Parliament in April the need for structural changes to the country’s waterway network, after recent heavy rains that led to flooding.He further mentioned that there will also be a review of the type and number of Shelters across the country.“There is no way that a country of our size needs 900 shelters, and I am glad that the Ministry of Labour and Social Security has examined a little over 700 (of the shelters) already,” the Minister said.Meanwhile, Mr. McKenzie said the Administration is determined to create and maintain a momentum of urgency in the public’s mind about hurricane preparedness.“We must understand and accept that we cannot continue to throw money at clean-up and other restoration efforts year after year, once heavy rains or hurricanes occur. We could be using this money for critical areas of Government,” he said.He is also encouraging every Jamaican to expect and prepare for an active hurricane season for 2017. Story Highlights Minister McKenzie had indicated to Parliament in April the need for structural changes to the country’s waterway network, after recent heavy rains that led to flooding.center_img A review of the country’s drain and gully systems is being undertaken by the technical staff at the Ministry of Local Government and Community Development, in collaboration with the National Works Agency (NWA). “It means checking our houses and workplaces, walls and roofs. It means that we should start now to gradually buy some items that won’t spoil and that can probably be used at a point, if the need arises,” he advised.The United States-based National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is predicting five to nine hurricanes, with two to four of them Category 3, or stronger. The forecast calls for 11 to 17 tropical systems.last_img read more