McGregor’s UFC future in doubt in wake of felony charges

first_imgDon’t miss out on the latest news and information. Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award View comments Lakers unveil statue of Elgin Baylor outside Staples Center Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew LATEST STORIES MOST READ Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil In Liverpool, Man United sees the pain and path to recovery Cabuyao City rising above the ashes through volunteerism Recto seeks to establish Taal rehab body to aid community, eruption victims McGregor hasn’t fought for UFC since November 2016 and was stripped this week by White of the 155-pound championship he had never defended.McGregor profanely responded on Twitter and wrote, “You’ll strip me of nothing.”The brashness was muted as cameras snapped Friday when he was brought out of a New York City police station in handcuffs.White said earlier this week in New York that McGregor would fight again for UFC this year. McGregor’s actions now put future fights in doubt. He could have had his pick of rich fights. A rematch against Mayweather inside the cage? A third fight against Nate Diaz? It all seemed possible — and it now seems a long way off.UFC has not immediately issued discipline against its biggest box office attraction.ADVERTISEMENT McGregor once held the 145 and 155-pound championships at the same time and boldly stated he wanted an ownership stake in UFC.But the trash-talking, egocentric has been out of the fight game except for his money fight with Mayweather that made him wealthy enough to never need to step inside the cage again.The Mayweather bout last August was his last professional fight and McGregor and his girlfriend also had a son last year.But not even fatherhood could mellow the irate Irishman.He was ordered to stay away from five people injured in the attack.McGregor’s lawyer, Jim Walden, said there was no risk that McGregor would try to avoid coming back to court: “He’s the most visible face on the planet.”It’s one usually plastered on a UFCSports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Video showed McGregor with a group of people causing chaos Thursday as they took an elevator to the loading dock at Barclays Center. He can be seen tossing trash cans and being prevented from throwing a barricade at a bus during his unannounced appearance in New York.“Guys will say things, push, shove, grab each other. These things have happened,” White said. “People have slapped each other. We can deal with all of that stuff. But when you bring in twenty hoodlums that flew in from Ireland to basically do this at our event, there’s nothing like this that has ever happened.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownWhite had not talked to McGregor since the court appearance and said this was no publicity stunt.Lobov was pulled from Saturday’s card for his involvement in the ugly act. McGregor’s friend and co-defendant Cian Cowley was released on $25,000 bond and also is due in court in June. Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ Scarlett Johansson, Sterling K. Brown among SAG Awards presenters Conor McGregor seeks to emerge from controversy in UFC comeback Ultimate fighting star Conor McGregor heads to a vehicle to leave Brooklyn Criminal Court, Friday, April 6, 2018 in New York. McGregor is facing criminal charges in the wake of a backstage melee he allegedly instigated that has forced the removal of three fights from UFC’s biggest card of the year. Video footage appears to show the promotion’s most bankable star throwing a hand truck at a bus full of fighters after a Thursday news conference for UFC 223 at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)White said the 29-year-old McGregor said he was sorry about the fighters who were injured, but, “this had to be done.”Michael Chiesa and Ray Borg were both pulled from the fight because of injuries suffered on the bus from McGregor’s shenanigans.ADVERTISEMENTlast_img read more

Zika cases decline in Guyana – US Ambassador

first_img…after ranking number 1 for South America in 2017The Zika virus has seen a steep decline in Guyana due to a number of partnerships which worked to reduce the number of infected persons, especially pregnant mothers and children.US Ambassador to Guyana,Sarah Ann LynchThis is according to the United States Ambassador to Guyana, Sarah Ann Lynch, during the conclusion of the Maternal and Child Survival Programme (MCSP), which initiated in March 2018 to combat the Zika epidemic in this part of the world.Addressing a gathering of health workers, the Ambassador relayed, “This important health partnership between out governments supported clinical and non-clinical Zika services benefitting infants, children and families across Guyana…Thanks to the continuous and dedicated work to curb the spread of mosquito-borne illnesses, reported Zika cases have decreased”.The virus spreads from mosquitoes of the Aedes genus, primarily the Aedes Aegypti species. While there are usual symptoms in infected persons, pregnant women are at risk since a serious birth defect called microcephaly and brain defects are noted.As such, the US diplomat warned that while the statistics are presently low, there will be other outbreaks in the future. This requires preparation and attentive medical practitioners.“The significant decrease in cases compared to this time last year suggests that the risk of infection with Zika is minimal in Guyana. However, debate continues within the scientific community not as to if there will be another Zika outbreak in the future, but rather when the next outbreak will occur so it is important that we all remain extremely vigilant.”In 2016, the World Health Organisation declared Zika a public emergency and one of international concern. By the end of the year, a project was launched to strengthen the capacity framework of some 11 Caribbean countries.This targeted the prevention of further transmission, reducing maternal complications and vector control measures. As part of the MCSP, healthcare workers are now equipped to improve the quality of services offered to children and families.“Guyanese healthcare workers now also have increased access to clinical literature and job aids to improve the quality of care and support available to infants and families. While this work focused specifically on Zika, I would like to underscore that the investments made are far-reaching and will help to strengthen the public response to all mosquito-borne illnesses,” Lynch positioned.MicrocephalyMeanwhile, Coordinator of the Maternal and Child Health Unit, Dr Suzanne Siebs targeted the cases of microcephaly in Guyana over the past four years. While the head circumference of an infant is observed for signs of this condition, it varies from mild to severe.“When you have either mild to severe cases, this is when you know obviously due to the improper or damaged brain growth. You have seizures occurring, developing mental delay, speech delay, feeding problems, hearing or vision impairment,” Siebs explained.As of 2016, 17 countries had reported signs of microcephaly. In Guyana, information is limited to determine the exact figures, but the first case was detected in Region Seven (Cuyuni-Mazaruni).“In Guyana, we would have had some reported cases as well in 2016 and 2017. However, baseline information is not known. We had our first confirmed case of Zika in 2016. In September 2016, a microcephaly birth was first recorded in Region Seven.”After that, there were 20 such births in Regions One (Barima-Waini), Two (Pomeroon-Supenaam), Four (Demerara-Mahaica), Six (East Berbice-Corentyne), Nine (Upper Takutu-Upper Essequibo) and 10 (Upper Demerara-Berbice). During the course of 2018 to March 2019, there was a decline with just three more cases reported. However, it was high when compared to other countries.“The cases identified in 2016 to 2017, there were 20 cases with 15,750 births…We would have had quite a number of cases as compared to Jamaica, Brazil, Canada and the USA,” the coordinator demonstrated.Two years ago, Guyana was ranked higher than most countries within the region that were suffering from Zika outbreaks.last_img read more

Plan eases up on some parolees

first_imgCRIME: Proposal aims to free up agents to focus on ex-convicts who pose a higher risk. By Don Thompson THE ASSOCIATED PRESS SACRAMENTO – Thousands of nonviolent ex-convicts could soon be freed from supervision after six months of parole instead of the usual three years under a policy aimed at ferreting out those least likely to commit new crimes, prison officials said Friday. Currently, nearly 70 percent of ex-cons in California commit violations during their three-year parole. Last year, about 68,000 parolees were sent back to crowded prisons for violations. Ex-convicts who are no longer under supervision can’t be sent back to prison for parole violations. Corrections Secretary James Tilton said the goal of the new policy is to select ex-cons who are unlikely to re-offend anyway, and to encourage them to complete programs that make it even less likely they will commit new crimes. Weeding out the low-risk offenders would let parole agents concentrate on dangerous ex-convicts such as sex offenders and gang members, Tilton said. Criminologists have for years recommended easing California’s parole policy. In 2004, a Schwarz- enegger-appointed advisory committee chaired by former Gov. George Deukmejian recommended releasing “very low risk” parolees after three months. The policy would allow what the department is calling “earned release” after six months. Officials projected that less than half of parolees would be eligible. Sex offenders, gang members or those with a history of violent or serious offenses going back to their juvenile record would be ineligible.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation is to announce the new policy Monday, a day before the state Board of Prison Terms considers the new regulations at its meeting in Sacramento. The politically risky policy would first be tested in mid-November, in a single parole district in conservative Orange County. If it works as expected, the policy could be adopted statewide by mid-2008, officials said. A spokesman for Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger argued that selectively freeing low-risk ex-convicts from parole is better than risking the release of more dangerous inmates. A special federal three- judge panel is considering whether to cap the state’s prison population, potentially forcing inmates to be released before completing their full sentences. “If we don’t make significant reforms, the public safety dangers are grave,” said Adam Mendelsohn, Schwarzenegger’s communications director. last_img read more