J&K school renamed after slain soldier

first_imgThe Army on Saturday renamed the Army Goodwill School, Behibagh, as ‘Shaheed Lt. Ummer Fayaz Goodwill School’ as a mark of tribute to the deceased soldier abducted and killed by militants on May 10.An Army spokesman said Major General B.S. Raju, the General Officer Commanding of the Victor Force along with the deputy commissioner and Superintendent of Police, Kulgam, visited the house of Fayaz to attend the ‘Chahrrum’.Grants solatiumMaj. Gen. Raju met the family and presented a cheque of ₹75 lakh on behalf of the Army.“To honour the martyr, it has been decided to rename the Army Goodwill School Behibagh as ‘Shaheed Lt. Ummer Fayaz Goodwill School’,” said the spokesman.The deputy commissioner also presented a cheque of ex-gratia and announced a government job to the family members.Condemning this dastardly act, Maj. Gen. Raju called upon all sections of the society “to join hands in putting an end to the bloodshed in Kashmir”. He also urged the elders to sensitise the “misguided youth” to shun the path of violence and join the mainstream and contribute towards the nation building.Fayaz, 22, who belonged to 2 Rajput Rifles, was killed as he had come on a vacation to native district of Kulgam. He was picked up by gunmen from a wedding function in nearby Shopian district on Tuesday. His bullet-ridden body was found from a road on Wednesday.He was a brilliant young man who performed in a spectacular manner in the Indian Army, the GOC said after meeting his family here.“His death will not go in vain. Strict actions will be taken over this militant attack. We want to ensure that our operation will not affect the civil population,” he asserted.Family inconsolableMeanwhile, Fayaz’s family remains inconsolable as they continue to mourn the loss of their son. “We have lost everything. He was a good human being,” Fayaz’s father Faiz Ahmed said.(With ANI inputs)last_img read more

National team pool slots at stake at BVR nat’l championships

first_imgHotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim Trump strips away truth with hunky topless photo tweet “Number one metric of growth is increasing the number of tandem teams and another is [having] men’s and women’s events instead of just single gender,” said BVR founder Charo Soriano in a presser Tuesday at Delimondo Cafe.The stakes are also higher this year as the top three teams from each division will get slots in the beach volleyball national team pool from which the squad for the Southeast Asian Beach Games in September will come from, as supported by Larong Volleyball sa Pilipinas Inc.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsFor both the men’s and women’s divisions, the 16 teams will be broken down into four pools for a single-round robin format. The top two from each pool will play the other top teams in a crossover eliminations before moving on the semifinals and the finals.The beach volleyball action will happen across three days on the powdery white sand beach of Anguib at the tip of the northeastern part of Luzon. MOST READ LATEST STORIES Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ BVR executives Tony Boy Liao, Charo Soriano and Bea Tan. Photo by Celest Colina/INQUIRERA record number of teams will compete for a slot in the Philippine team pool in the Beach Volleyball Republic On Tour national championships from July 28 to 30 at Aguib Beach in Sta. Cagayan.From just 16 last year, the number of tandem teams in the national championship has doubled to 32—a testament to the growth of the sport which the executives of BVR have been aiming for.ADVERTISEMENT National Coffee Research Development and Extension Center brews the 2nd National Coffee Education Congress FEU Auditorium’s 70th year celebrated with FEU Theater Guild’s ‘The Dreamweavers’ El Nido residents told to vacate beach homescenter_img Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Bea Tan, who is also a co-founder of the BVR, expects tougher competition in this year’s national finals, which is a culmination of seven BVR legs where they saw the potential of beach volleyball players from all over the country.“Very competitive teams from the provinces will come to Anguib to compete,” she said.Soriano said they have yet to finalize the list of competitors but some who have confirmed are FEU, Dipolog, Coast Guard, NU, Bacolod, Iloilo, Cebu, RTU, La Salle Bacolod, Ateneo, Navy, at Coast Guard for the Men’s division, and RTU, Ateneo, Iloilo, Cebu, Bacolod, Tagum, PNP, at Perlas for the Women’s division.Aside from a chance to represent the Philippines in international competition, the champion will take home P50, 000 while the runner up and third place will settle for P30,000 and P15,000, respectively.ADVERTISEMENT Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Church, environmentalists ask DENR to revoke ECC of Quezon province coal plant Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Tanduay books quarters seat, subdues Wangs View comments Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’last_img read more

Ind vs WI 2nd Test: Laxman, Raina rescue India on Day 1

first_imgVVS Laxman and Suresh Raina rescued India from an early slump but the visitors were still bowled out for 201 by West Indies in their first innings on the opening day of the second Test here. Score | PhotosIn reply, West Indies were 30 for three at stumps, trailing India by 171 runs at the Kensington Oval here on Tuesday.Ramnaresh Sarwan was batting on 10, while night watchman Devendra Bishoo had just joined him at the crease before the end of day’s proceeding here.Earlier, India were left struggling at 38 for four, courtesy pacer Ravi Rampaul’s three-wicket haul in the pre-lunch session but Laxman and Raina added 117 runs for the fifth wicket to bring the visitors back into the game.Laxman dropped the anchor initially and along with Raina started dominating the bowlers in the afternoon session but West Indies bounced back after tea with Fidel Edwards and Devendra Bishoo taking three wickets each.If Rampaul (3 for 38) was incisive in the first session, Edwards (3 for 56) and Bishoo (3 for 46) were lethal in the final session as India lost their final five wickets for just 34 runs.India did manage to get colour back on their cheeks with three strikes of their own — openers Adrian Barath (3) and Lendl Simmons (2) departed with only five runs on board and left-hander Darren Bravo (9) left with just a delivery remaining for the day’s play.All three Indian seamers — Ishant Sharma, Praveen Kumar and Abhimanyu Mithun — picked up a wicket each as West Indies ended the day on 30 for 3.advertisementNothing went right for India as the visitors, for the third straight time in the series, made a score of 200 or thereabout which conveyed as much about the frailty of India’s batting as it did about the potency of the home attack.Opener Abhinav Mukund (1) was out to a rising delivery from Rampaul in the second over of the morning which the opener could only lob into the hands of the gully fielder.It followed a run-barren session for the visitors and only thing happening was the fall of wickets.The first Test hero Rahul Dravid (5) was surprised by a Darren Sammy delivery which rose from a length and hard as the batsman tried, it still took the top of his blade to go to second slip.Opener Murali Vijay (11) tried hard to take roots in the middle but his tendency to waft his bat on the legside cost him his wicket. His bat followed a legside delivery of Rampaul and edged a catch to wicketkeeper Carlton Baugh.It was Rampaul’s first over of his second spell and he made it a twin strike when an unsure Virat Kohli (0) could only send a ball off the edge of his bat to slips. Rampaul had an awesome figure of 8-5-4-3 in the pre-lunch session.So slow and painful was India’s progress that the opening session yielded only 44 runs and as many as four wickets were lost.India looked a transformed side in the post-lunch session as they added an unfinished 103 runs for the fifth wicket.Both batsmen hit half centuries and looked good for many more as they put the host attack to sword with brilliant counter-attacking batting.But West Indies were fortunate to get a breakthrough in the final session when umpire Asad Rauf ruled Raina out at forward short leg off leg-spinner Devendra Bishoo after the ball had ricocheted off the batsman’s pads.A distraught Raina yelled out in anguish and then dropped his bat before dejectedly walking back to the pavilion. Raina batted for 137 minutes and hit seven fours from 105 balls for his 53 runs.Raina’s departure gave the hosts the breakthrough they had so desperately wanted and the Indian innings subsided quickly from then on.Skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni failed for the third time in the series when he holed Edwards out to mid-on fielder.Harbhajan Singh (5) awkwardly defended at an Edwards bouncer and presented forward short leg with a chance.The biggest blow to India was delivered by Bishoo who drew Laxman to punch one which rose and spun sharper than the batsman had bargained for.Laxman’s gutsy innings of 85 took him 253 minutes and he hit 12 fours from the 146 balls he faced.The tail subsided without any fight and presented West Indies with their best day of the series so far.However, India pulled things back during the West Indies, taking three host wickets cheaply.Barath fell to a catch in the slips off impressive Ishant Sharma, while his partner Praveen Kumar got the other opener Lendl Simmons to a catch to wicketkeeper. Mithun then got into the act and dismissed Bravo in his second over.advertisement- With inputs from PTIlast_img read more

Cavs’ Kevin Love still weeks from return to court after surgery

first_imgThe 30-year-old played in just four games before undergoing surgery to have cartilage removed and fluid drained from around his left big toe. He got hurt in Cleveland’s exhibition opener and tried to play through the pain before it got tough for him to walk.Following the surgery, the Cavs initially thought Love might be back by the end of December, and he had targeted mid-January as a possible return. However, it now appears he could be out until February.One thing is certain: Love has no intention of sitting out the season.“That’s never really been the thought process — at least for me,” said Love, who recently visited his surgeon in New York. “I want to play. I want to be out there with those guys. I feel like I would be letting my teammates down, and letting (coach) L.D. (Larry Drew) and the coaching staff down if I didn’t get out there and play and get out there and play as soon as I could — so long as I’m healthy.”The Cavaliers need him badly.ADVERTISEMENT SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion View comments At 8-32, they have the NBA’s worst record and lost nine straight games going into Tuesday’s matchup with Indiana. Cleveland has lost its last five home games by at least 20 points — a league record — and a slew of injuries has made things tougher.This isn’t the season the Cavs expected after signing Love to a four-year, $120 million contract extension after LeBron James left as a free agent.“It’s a big setback, not in my career, but as far as our team goes,” he said. “It’s just tough when you have several players out, veterans out and some of your top players that give you so much on both sides of the ball. I would just hope to come back, whether it be right before All-Star break, after All-Star break, just get things to start trending in the right direction and give the fans and this organization some hope for better times that are going to be here.”Love’s injury could complicate things if the Cavaliers intend to trade him.As he leaned on a wall inside the training facility, Love smiled when reminded that the trade deadline is approaching. His name has been linked to numerous deals almost since the day he arrived in 2014. He doesn’t expect that to change.“We’ll see. If not, we will wait until summer,” Love said of a possible trade. “I don’t know what’s going to happen. I’ve said all along I’ve wanted to be here. I’ve said this too, it’s a business. We saw that last year at the deadline. I had never seen so many guys traded from a team really ever. I had seen, playing six years in Minnesota and now this being my fifth year here, I’ve seen a lot of stuff. Think every trade deadline, draft, free agency, always brings something new.“It’s always different. I would love to be here. Would just love to get through a whole season healthy just because I’ve had nagging things that have taken time and been a little bit unlucky, but I would like to play ball here.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Is Luis Manzano planning to propose to Jessy Mendiola? MINNEAPOLIS, MN – OCTOBER 19: Kevin Love #0 of the Cleveland Cavaliers looks on during the second quarter of the game against the Minnesota Timberwolves on October 19, 2018 at the Target Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this Photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. Hannah Foslien/Getty Images/AFPINDEPENDENCE, Ohio — Kevin Love’s comeback has been slow and steady. The Cleveland Cavaliers need it to speed up.Love said Monday that he’s still weeks away from doing any significant on-court work as the five-time All-Star forward recovers from left foot surgery that has sidelined him nearly all season.ADVERTISEMENT SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion TS Kammuri to enter PAR possibly a day after SEA Games opening Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. center_img Hotel management clarifies SEAG footballers’ kikiam breakfast issue SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte LATEST STORIES Love was recently cleared to accelerate his rehab, but he isn’t sure when he’ll play and suggested he could be out until after February’s All-Star break.“I don’t know,” he said when asked for a timeframe on his return. “It’s really tough for me to say because I don’t know how my foot is going to respond. Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine ‍football chiefSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsLove has begun shooting and been “up on the toes a little bit” but not running. He’s listening to his doctors and his body.“I don’t know when I’ll be able to go one-on-one, two-on-two, three-on-three, but I think that’s all part of the next few weeks I’d say,” he said. Rafael Nadal says ‘no pain’ after Sydney tie as Slam looms MOST READ LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krausslast_img read more