Foldable Phones Tablets Phones Share your voice Now playing: Watch this: Google Samsung Post a comment 0 More foldable phones coming from Samsung Google’s patent application included several sketches of a potential foldable device. Google Samsung’s Galaxy Fold made a splash at Unpacked in February. Since then, more foldable phones have been unveiled as companies grab at the latest phone trend. Google may be looking to toss its hat in the foldable ring, according to a patent application discovered by Patently Mobile on Tuesday. While a patent application doesn’t mean anything is set in stone, it does mean Google is at least thinking about a foldable device. The patent, published in December, describes the device like so: “[a] foldable display of a computing device includes a back stiffening layer, a transparent frontplate layer, a transparent cover window layer, and an OLED display layer disposed between the back stiffening layer and the transparent frontplate layer.” Several sketches included in the patent show a device that seems to fold like a book or wallet. Another sketch shows the device folded in a “Z” shape. Google didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. 3:13 Tags
Share your voice Tags More than 6 million email addresses that appear to have been collected by political campaigners were exposed online for almost a decade, researchers said Tuesday. Graphic by Pixabay/Illustration by CNET A list of 6.2 million email addresses amassed by Democratic campaign organizers appears to have been exposed on the internet for nearly a decade. Researchers at UpGuard found the list on an unsecured cloud server that would have let anyone with an internet connection read it.The cache, which contains only email addresses and no other identifying information, was uploaded by a former staffer with the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, or DSCC. The list appeared to include mostly personal email addresses, and the largest portion were AOL and Yahoo accounts. In a blog post Tuesday, UpGuard researchers acknowledged the scope of the information isn’t large, but said it should still be concerning.They said it shows that political campaigns are prone to collecting large amounts of information on voters and then failing to secure it. That can leave voter information exposed long after polls close and votes are counted. “If political data can be exposed for 10 years, the risk created by that data has an unknown half-life,” the researchers said. The DSCC confirmed that the data was uploaded by a former staffer, and that the spreadsheet has now been removed.”Since the 2010 cycle, the DSCC now has a centralized and secure management of assets to ensure accounts are following proper security best practices, and all users and staff go through security awareness training to prevent issues like this,” DSCC spokesman Stewart Boss said in a statement.Originally published Aug. 6, 12:41 p.m. PT.Update, 1:37 p.m.: Adds comment from the DSCC. Security Internet 2 Comments Hacking Privacy
According to bullion traders, India’s monthly gold imports are set to rise by as much as 50% from the current levels and premiums could also double ahead of this festive season next month. Additionally, gold sales are expected to rise by 15 to 20%.Currently, gold is being sold for around ₹27,000 per ten gram. It is expected that Indian gold buyers would help support global bullion prices which had dipped to eight-and-a-half month low of ₹1,216.01 (₹74,072) per 30 grams amid worries of hike in US interest rates. The festive demands are expected to push local gold prices. Prithiviraj Kothari, vice-president of the India Bullion & Jewellers’ Association expects the gold price to touch ₹28,500 per ten gram ahead of Hindu festivals like Dhanteras and Diwali.”Gold imports are expected to rise to about 70-75 tonnes per month in the coming months as against a monthly average of 50-60 tonnes,” Reuters quoted Prithviraj Kothari, vice-president of the India Bullion & Jewellers’ Association.After and during the Indian festive season, Indian gold premiums to the global benchmark are also expected to surge by ₹731 to ₹912 for 30 grams, from the current rate of ₹426 to ₹609 an ounce.Gold reached its highest at ₹35,074 per ten gram in August 2013, but then onwards the bullion prices have slipped steadily aided by weak prices overseas and a strengthening rupee.Deficit worries?Heavy imports raised the fiscal deficit during previous year that had put the rupee under pressure and slowed growth. Following this, UPA finance minister P. Chidambaram raised the import tax on gold for the third time in a year.However, in May 2014, RBI eased import restrictions on this commodity. The central bank permitted private agencies and banks to provide gold loans to the sector. But, the government has not lowered the import duty which is at 10%.India’s investment demand for gold slumped 67% on year in the June quarter, according to World Gold Council.But, Kothari opined that India’s deficit would not hurt because of gold demand during festive season as government’s restrictions on gold imports and lower international prices will prevent the deficit.
HP Inc said it was accelerating its restructuring programme and now expects about 3,000 people will exit by the end of fiscal 2016 instead of over three years as it announced in September.Then, Hewlett-Packard Co had said it expected to cut about 33,300 jobs over three years, of which up to 3,300 were to be cut in HP Inc. It said then that 1,200 people would leave the company by the end of 2016.The restructuring will result in charges and associated cash payments of about $300 million in the current year, the company said.”This move is basically HP Inc embracing the tough pricing environment and shifting their focus to building their portfolio,” says Shannon Cross, an analyst for Cross Research.HP Inc, which houses former Hewlett-Packard Co’s legacy hardware business, reported a near 12 percent drop in quarterly revenue, as it struggles with weak demand for PCs and printers.Revenue in the company’s personal systems business fell 13 percent in the first quarter ended Jan. 31, while it declined 17 percent in its printing division from a year earlier.PC sales have been falling sharply worldwide, and the launch of Windows 10 has so far failed to rekindle demand.Printer demand has been hurt as corporate customers cut printing costs and consumers shift to mobile devices.The company, which is reporting results independently for the first time since being spun off from Hewlett-Packard Co, forecast adjusted profit of 35-40 cents per share for its second quarter ending April 30.Analysts on average were expecting 39 cents, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.HP Inc maintained its 2016 adjusted profit forecast at $1.59-$1.69 per share.The company’s earnings from continuing operations fell to $650 million, or 36 cents per share, in the first quarter from $770 million, or 41 cents per share, a year earlier.Revenue fell to $12.25 billion from $13.86 billion.Analysts on average had expected earnings of 36 cents per share and revenue of $12.20 billion.HP Inc’s shares were marginally lower at $10.75 in extended trading on Wednesday. They had fallen more than 13 percent since the spinoff in early November to Wednesday.Hewlett-Packard Enterprise Co, also spun off from Hewlett-Packard Co, is expected to report results on March 3.
.A three-member BNP delegation, led by its secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir, on Friday met US ambassador to Bangladesh, Earl R Miller, and discussed various issues relating to the 11th national election, reports UNB.The one-hour-and-a-half-hour meeting that began at 10:00am was held at the US envoy’s residence.The two other BNP delegation members are BNP standing committee member Amir Khosru Mahmud Chowdhury and executive committee member Tabith Awal.However, there was no briefing from either side about the meeting.A BNP leader close to Fakhrul said the BNP delegation informed the US envoy about their party’s observations over the election and various ‘irregularities’.He said the BNP team also provided Miller with various documents, including paper cuttings and video clips, on ‘election irregularities and vote fraud’.Bangladesh Nationalist Party and its alliance partners faced a serious defeat in Sunday’s general election as they got only seven seats out of 298 in the 30-December election which came to talks for irregularities and rigging.
In this picture taken on 6 August 2019 security personnel stand guard on a street in Srinagar. Photo: AFPA protester died after being chased by police during a curfew in Kashmir’s main city, left in turmoil by an Indian government move to tighten control over the restive region, a police official said Wednesday.The death was confirmed by police after the government passed a presidential decree on Monday stripping the Muslim majority state of its longstanding semi-autonomous privileges.Despite a paralysing curfew, imposed to head off unrest, sporadic protests have been reported by residents in the main city Srinagar.A police official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told AFP that in one incident a youth being chased by police “jumped into the Jhelum river and died.”The incident happened in Srinagar’s old town which has become a hotbed of anti-India protests during the three decade-long insurgency in Kashmir that has left tens of thousands dead.A source told AFP that at least six people have been admitted to hospital in Srinagar with gunshot wounds and other injuries from protests.Indian police insist that Kashmir, which is also claimed by Pakistan, has been mainly peaceful since the curfew was imposed at midnight Sunday.
Photo via FlickrPolice are promising a bigger security detail than ever before in Times Square for this year’s New Year’s Eve celebration, which will cap off a year that saw a number of deadly attacks, including a vehicle rampage at the very spot where revelers will ring in 2018.In addition to its usual army of snipers, bag-inspecting officers and metal detectors, the department this year is relying on help from a growing corps of “vapor wake” dogs, which are trained to sniff out trace amounts of explosive particles that trail behind someone carrying a bomb.All 125 parking garages in the vicinity of Times Square will be emptied in advance of the celebration and sealed off, so no one has a chance to sneak in a car bomb, police said.Detectives already have been assigned to all of the dozens of high-rise hotels in the area, with the aim of preventing the type of attack that happened in Las Vegas in October, when a gunman firing from a casino hotel killed dozens of people at an outdoor concert below. Police wouldn’t discuss whether guests at area hotels would be screened in advance of the celebration, but Police Commissioner James O’Neill said officers already are working with hotel security.“This is going to be one of the most well-policed, best-protected events at one of the safest venues in the entire world,” O’Neill said.The extra precautions follow two recent terrorist attacks in the city. A man detonated a bomb in the city’s subway system on Dec. 11, injuring only himself. On Halloween, an Islamic State-inspired attacker drove down a bicycle path, killing eight people before he wrecked his truck and was shot by police.Times Square itself was targeted in May by a man, said by police to be high on drugs, who drove through crowds of pedestrians for more than three blocks, killing an 18-year-old tourist from Michigan. The speeding vehicle was eventually stopped by one of the squat metal barriers that have been installed around the square’s pedestrian plazas.Those attacks were reminders that New York City’s massive security apparatus can only do so much, but city officials insisted they will be able to keep people safe on New Year’s Eve.“The fact is, they will absolutely be safe,” said Mayor Bill de Blasio, a Democrat.The police department doesn’t reveal the strength of its security force for the event, but it gave some details about the operation at a news conference Thursday. Share Officers will have help from roughly 1,000 security cameras installed in and around Times Square.An area roughly 22 city blocks long and three long blocks wide will be sealed off from both vehicle and pedestrian traffic with cement blocks, sand-filled garbage trucks and other vehicles blocking the streets leading into the area.Partygoers entering that secure zone will be screened at a dozen access points where they will encounter metal detectors, the vapor wake dogs and officers with portable radiation detectors. Large backpacks are not allowed. All small bags will be searched.From there, people go through a second round of security screening when they enter spectator pens where they are essentially confined for the night. People who leave the pens aren’t allowed to re-enter — so no bathroom breaks.Those who make it through will get to see live performances from Andy Grammer, Nick Jonas and Mariah Carey. A cascade of confetti and fireworks will ring in the new year when the Waterford Crystal ball drops.In addition to the officers at the scene, dozens of analysts will be combing Islamic State propaganda and deciphering data.Police also will be out in force at Coney Island, where live music and fireworks were expected to draw large crowds, and at a midnight event for runners in Central Park.“The takeaway from our preparations is this: People will be safe, and they should feel safe, too,” O’Neill said. “Because the NYPD and our partners are well-prepared.”
email@example.comTwitter: @hunter_jonathan Black students face harsher punishments than their peers and are less likely to receive mental health attention for their problems, according to new research.According to the Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights, Black students are expelled and suspended three times more often than White students. And a new study published in the journal Sociology of Education found that school districts with large Black populations were less likely to consider offering counseling services compared to predominantly White school districts. School districts in which a large portion of the students were Black would usually report incidents to law enforcement officers—not the case in majority White school districts.The study, entitled “The Social Structure of Criminalized and Medicalized School Data” examined how “district level racial/ethnic and socioeconomic compositions” affect the method of discipline implemented on students. The study was conducted by David Ramey, an assistant professor of sociology and justice at Penn State University. Ramey examined data from 60,000 schools in more than 6,000 school districts, and concluded that that the increased incarceration rates in minority communities results in a criminalized view of students when they misbehave.According to the study, unlike White parents, the families of Black children are less likely to blame their behavior on medical or psychological causes.“The legacy of the Tuskegee experiments has left many Black families skeptical of medical and mental research, particularly contested and controversial issues like ADHD,” Ramey wrote in his report.Ramey also noted that research suggests that teachers view Black boys’ misbehavior as the result of bad parenting and cultural deficiencies, and are less likely to attribute minority students’ acting up to a behavior disorder.“White kids tend to get viewed as having ADHD, or having some sort of behavioral problem, while Black kids are viewed as being unruly and unwilling to learn,” said Ramey.According to The Daily Best, Black students with learning disabilities are three times more likely to be suspended than White students with learning disabilities. Ramey suggests that the current discipline structure of American schools is flawed.“There’s been a real push toward school safety and there’s been a real push for schools to show they are being accountable,” he wrote. “But, any zero-tolerance policy or mandatory top-down solutions might be undermining what would be otherwise good efforts at discipline, and not establishing an environment based around all the options available.”
The National Trust for Historic Preservation, a nonprofit based in D.C. that aims to protect significant historical sites, recently launched the African American Cultural Heritage Fund. The fund is part of a campaign to help support, preserve and protect important African-American sites across the nation.The National Trust and its partners are in the process of raising $25 million for the multi-year national initiative to encourage the movement to uplift and recognize the contributions of African-Americans. The fund will restore and address the funding gaps for the preservation of African-American historic sites and help uncover hidden stories to assist in telling the full American story.Southside Community Art Center in Chicago is one of the National Trust for Historic Preservation National Treasures. (Photo Courtesy Southside Community Art Center Archive)Brent Leggs, the director of the African American Cultural Heritage Action Fund, said the fund was created after the series of events and protests in Charlottesville, Va. last summer. “Preservation was now at the forefront of a national conversation where history, culture, and public spaces collided, forcing our nation to confront the unfinished business of race, emancipation, and inequality,” Leggs told the AFRO. “It was evident to us at the National Trust that the human conflict witnessed by the American citizens and the world demanded national leadership. We at the National Trust felt a social and professional responsibility to help lead our country towards its moral compass and ideals.”The goal of the fund is to also influence and empower young advocates and preservationists to conduct research on contemporary urban problems that affect underrepresented communities and communities of color, according to its website.It is the largest preservation campaign ever undertaken on behalf of African-American history since the birth of the national preservation movement started in 1917 by the National Association of Colored Women, according to Leggs.“A century plus later the African-American preservation movement still remains undervalued, underfunded,” Leggs told the AFRO. “The time is now through the action fund for the National Trust to play a leadership role in helping grassroots organizations and cities have access to the resources to be able to save American history.”“We believe that historic preservation is a form of social justice,” he added. “It is a way to provide equity and resources to advocates on the ground that are working tirelessly and are committed to the preservation projects.”Some sites the fund will directly support are Clayborn Temple in Memphis, Southside Community Art Center in Chicago and Founder’s Library at Howard University in Washington, D.C. Leggs said their vision is to also bring greater recognition to the role of Black women in history by identifying significant places that honors African-American female historical figures.The non-profit works with the Ford Foundation, The JPB Foundation and the Open Society Foundation, among a number of leading funders. The advisory council includes notable national leaders and the co-chairs of the advisory council include acclaimed actress and director Phylicia Rashad and Darren Walker, president of the Ford Foundation.“Without a thorough reckoning with the complex and difficult history of our country, especially when it comes to race, we will not be able to overcome intolerance, injustice, and inequality,” said Walker, according to a National Trust for Historic Preservation press release. “We have an opportunity with this fund to broaden the American narrative to reflect our remarkably rich and diverse history.”